The renovation of Jyväskylä University´s main building

The building was nominated for the Finlandia prize for architecture in 2019. The main building of the University was completed in 1956 and is one of Alvar Aalto´s red tile periods most notable works. The facilities are divided into three blocks: the administrative section, the banquet hall and the library. The transit hall binds the three blocks together creating a uniform entirety. The building is protected as part of the Seminaarimäki entirety.

Due to the moving of the principal of the University into the administrative section, the wings original special structure could be reinstated by dismantling baffle walls that were added later on. The library hall, as well as the library´s lobby, were architecturally highlighted by restoring and opening new connections to the neighbouring spaces. The ventilation in the banquet hall was improved.

The planning was done in an intense collaboration with the Alvar Aalto foundation and the Board of the Museum. The building was realised in all areas of the design as three-dimensional modelling. The combined models were used to coordinate different construction systems and energy simulations.

Photography: Kuvatoimisto Kuvio Oy

LOCATION
Jyväskylä

CLIENT
Suomen yliopistokiinteistöt Oy

INITIATED
2012

DESIGNERS
Jyrki Iso-Aho, Päivi Vaheri